Central Valley School District Board of Education
April 15, 2020 7 p.m.
Minutes – approved
The Board of Education’s regular meeting was called to order by President Kelly Rowland at 7:08 p.m. in the LGI at CVA. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all those present.
Note: This meeting was physically closed to the public. It was live-streamed at: https://meet.google.com/ejn-osmp-erm / Phone: +1 406-905-1598 PIN: 590 313 234#
Jeremy M. Rich, Supt.
Guests Present (those signing in)
There were no changes to this evening’s agenda.
There were no presentations this evening.
ADMINISTRATIVE REPORTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Campus Construction Report #34 – April 2020 – The Board received copies of this report for their information. Mr. Rich reported that the project is still on schedule and things are progressing well at Jarvis.
(Copy of information on file in District Clerk’s files.)
- Mr. Rich acknowledged all of the workers that have been doing a tremendous job during these difficult times. Our cafeteria workers are serving approximately 750 meals per day which are being delivered by our transportation department. Special thanks to Barbara Cristman and Chad Francisco for spearheading these efforts.
- The administrative team has been working hard to put together a Continuity of Learning Education Plan that will be rolled out. Information will be sent home to parents explaining the plan and informing them of next steps. The teachers have been working hard to help make things work for our students.
- Mr. Rich acknowledged to everyone that this is not an easy situation for anyone. Technology at home is not going to be easy and the District will continue to work with families to provide what the students need to continue their education.
- Mr. Rich reported that the Board’s next regular meeting is tentatively set for May 27, 2020. However, this date will be subject to change based on any new directives from the Governor. As information becomes available, we will need to determine additional dates for the following: Regular meeting to adopt Proposed 2020-2021 Spending Plan, Annual Budget Hearing, and the Annual Budget Vote/ Board Election.
There were no administrative reports this evening.
Business Official’s Report
- Financials – The Board received copies of the March financial reports for their review. Mr. Humphrey provided the Board with copies of the three-part budget for the last three years. The District anticipates its first quarterly adjustment to State Aid in mid-May. Discussion took place regarding the pandemic adjustment that could cost the district another $800,000 and would need to be adjusted for in next year’s proposed spending plan. Discussion continued regarding an anticipated Executive Order from the Governor as to whether or not the district will continue to pay for contractual obligations such as transportation.
(Copy of information on file in District Clerk’s files.)
- Mrs. Rowland encouraged Board members to sign up for webinars that are available as an opportunity to stay up to date with the questions that are being submitted and answered by NYSSBA representatives.
- Mrs. Rowland extended appreciation from the Board to Barbara Cristman, food service helpers, transportation members, and everybody helping to prepare and deliver food to our students. Special thanks to our teachers and administration for making sure that the social emotional and educational needs of our students are being met. The Board extended its support to all those involved during this challenging time.
- Mrs. Wesolowski asked if technology devices would be provided to the elementary students and teachers who may not have internet. She also asked about the status of report cards. Mr. Rich explained that the District has ordered hot spots but they are in high demand. Once they are received, the principals will arrange for distribution to those who need them. Discussion continued regarding the challenges that have come about as a result of the online learning process. Paper packets will continue to be available for those who need them. Considerable work has gone into preparing the District’s Continuity of Education Plan in an effort to keep things as consistent as possible. Mr. Rich stressed that the plan will be subject change and adjustments will be made as needed. He noted that, following much discussion at the administrative level, report cards will be issued pending any future guidance from the State.
- Mrs. Wesolowski extended thanks to all those who have initiated and/or participated in community building activities. Examples included the teacher videos, lighting of the football field, special treats to our students from the Foundation, and signs made to let our students know we miss them. These activities have all been very special for both our students and our community.
- Mr. Costin asked about the status of students who attend BOCES. Mrs. Rowland reported that BOCES will be working with those students. She explained the procedures that BOCES has in place to provide for the services and educational needs of these students. Mr. Costin asked if there was any further information for those running as candidates for the Board of Education. Mr. Rich explained that school voting/election deadlines have been pushed back until at least June 1st and we are awaiting further guidance on this matter.
PUBLIC OPEN FORUM
There was no public participation this evening.
ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT AGENDA FOR INDIVIDUAL CONSIDERATION
There were no items removed from the consent agenda for individual consideration.
Approval of Minutes
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. Wesolowski, seconded by Mrs. North, the Board approved the minutes of the following meeting. Motion carried 7-0.
- Regular Meeting – March 18, 2020
Acceptance of Retirement Notices
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. Wesolowski, seconded by Mrs. North, the Board accepted the following notices of retirement. Motion carried 7-0.
- Laurie Scharett, Elementary Teacher, Effective 6/30/20
- Sue Ellen Gay, Elementary Teacher, Effective 1/29/21
(Copy of notices on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Approval of Personnel Appointments / Adjustments
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. Wesolowski, seconded by Mrs. North, the Board approved the following personnel appointments/adjustments. Motion carried 7-0.
Non-Instructional Appointments – Permanent:
- Gary Moszak, Bus Monitor, Effective 4/18/20
- Sara Moran, School Nurse, Effective 5/25/20
Approval of Financial Reports
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. Wesolowski, seconded by Mrs. North, the Board approved the following financial reports and information. Motion carried 7-0.
- Financial Reports – March 2020
- Internal Claims Auditors Reports – March 2020
- Extracurricular Summary Report – March 2020
(Copy of reports on file in District Clerk’s files.)
There was no old business discussed this evening.
Approval of Arrangement of Services – CSE/CPSE/504 Accommodation Plan Meetings
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board approved the arrangement of services of the following CSE/CPSE/504 Accommodation Plan meetings. Motion carried 6-0-1. In favor: T. Costin, M. Darrow, J. Levi, J. North, J. Sanchez, M. Wesolowski. Opposed: None. Abstained: K. Rowland.
- March 4, 2020
- March 6, 2020
- March 9, 2020
- March 11, 2020
- March 12, 2020
Approval of 2019-2020 School Calendar Revision
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mr. Levi, seconded by Mr. Darrow, the Board approved the following revision to the 2019-2020 school year. Motion carried 7-0.
- School will now be in session for students and staff on Friday, May 22, 2020. Mr. Rich explained that this revision is necessary due to the COVID-19 school closure.
Approval of Resolution for Participation in Education Law 2-d Opt-In Agreement
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board approved a resolution for the District’s participation in the Education Law 2-d Opt-In Agreement. Motion carried 7-0.
(Copy of resolution on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Approval of BOCES 2020-2021 Administrative Budget
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mr. Darrow, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board approved the BOCES 2020-2021 Administrative Budget. Motion carried 7-0.
(Copy of ballot in file in District Clerk’s files.)
Approval of BOCES Board Candidates
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. Wesolowski, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board voted in support of electing the following BOCES Board Candidates, effective July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2023. Motion carried 7-0.
- Deborah Kessler
- Ronald Loiacono
- James (Bob) Schmid
- Linda Tharp
(Copy of ballot on file in District Clerk’s files.)
NEXT MEETING: May 27, 2020 (Subject to Change)
On a motion made by Mr. Darrow, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board adjourned their regular meeting at 8:48 p.m. Motion carried 7-0.
District Clerk, Board of Education