This page provides links to current and past budget and tax information.
Voters approve the 2019-20 budget
Central Valley School District voters went to polls on Tuesday, May 21 and approved the district’s proposed 2019-20 school budget 262 yes — 29 no. The budget passed with 93.2 percent in favor. Voters also elected Jane North, Matt Darrow, and Jason Sanchez to three-year terms to the board of education. (more details)
Key numbers – 2019-20 budget
- Total spending—$51,949,184; up 9.37 percent or $4,449,184 compared to the current year
- Tax levy—$8,600,000; increase of $0 or 0.0 percent
- Board of education election—three candidates vying for three seats. Jason Sanchez, Matt Darrow, Jane North will appear on the ballot in that order.
Tax levy remains lower than 2012-13
On Tuesday, May 15, residents of the Central Valley School District will go to the polls to vote on the district’s proposed $47,500,000 budget for the 2018-19 school year. The proposal would increase spending 5.61 percent or $2,525,000 more than the current year. This would result in a 1.94 percent or $164,000 tax levy increase. The proposed levy is less than the district’s tax levy limit and will require a simple majority of greater than 50 percent of voters for approval. (Read more about the 2019-20 budget vote)
Mark your calendar to vote May 21
Central Valley School District residents will go to the polls on Tuesday, May 21 to vote on the 2018-19 school budget. Polls are open noon-8 p.m. in the Central Valley Academy small gym, 111 Frederick St., Ilion. To vote, you must be at least 18 years old, a U.S. citizen, and a resident of the school district at least 30 days prior to the vote.
Required budget information
Required budget information online—New York State law requires that school districts post certain budget information online for the public to review. Below find PDFs of each required report. If you have any trouble accessing the information in the PDFs, please contact the district business office at 315-894-5000, press 6. Copies are also available from the district office.
- 2019-20 Three Part Budget (PDF)—the district’s proposed expenditures broken down into three categories (administration, instruction and capital.
- 2019-20 Budget Expenditure Detail (PDF)—the district’s proposed expenditures by line.
- 2019-20 Budget Revenue Detail (PDF)—the district’s proposed revenues by line.
- 2019-20 Budget Notice (PDF)—a one-page document that compares the district’s proposed budget, tax levy, and three-part budget components to last year’s adopted budget, voting information and projected STAR savings.
- 2019-20 Property Tax Report Card (PDF)—the district’s property tax levy calculation and information related to the district’s reserve funds. This is also available for the NYS Education Department as an Excel spreadsheet.
- Central Valley CSD 2017-18 School Fiscal Report Card (PDF)—Complete data may be viewed on the NYS Education Department website.
- Property Exemption—listing of properties that are exempt from school property taxes. This includes both tax exempt properties and properties covered under Payment in Lieu of Taxes (PILOT) agreements.
- 2019-20 Administrative Salary Disclosure (PDF)—the superintendent’s and assistant superintendent’s salaries, benefits and other compensation.
- 2019-20 Budget Newsletter (PDF)
Timeline of a school budget
Most people only become aware of school budgets when the local media begins running budget stories or school districts begin holding budget meetings. The truth is that the budget process begins long before. Here is a timeline that explains the school district’s budget process.
Paying your tax bill
Early in September, Herkimer County prints and mails Central Valley CSD’s property tax bills. Taxes must be paid in full and are due no later than Oct. 1. Taxes paid after Oct. 1 are subject to a 2 percent fee. Taxes may be paid by mail or in person.
- To pay by mail, make checks payable to Cherri L Hyer, Central Valley CSD Receiver of Taxes and mail to:
Cherri L Hyer
Central Valley CSD Receiver of Taxes
PO Box 160
Mohawk, NY 13407
- To pay in person:
66 E Main St, Mohawk, NY
9:30 a.m.-4 p.m., Mon.-Fri.
The office is closed Labor Day and Columbus Day.