The Business Department provides accounting, budgeting, and payroll services.
Contacting the Business Office
- School Business Administrator at 894-5000 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Treasurer Lisa VanWinkler at 894-5000 or email@example.com
- Payroll Clerk Nicki Bailey at 894-5000 or firstname.lastname@example.org
What we do
Under the direction of the Board of Education and the Superintendent of Schools, the Business Office:
- Oversees district finances and ensures that the district adheres to district and state laws, policies, and procedures regarding finances,
- Educates staff on purchasing procedures,
- Works cooperatively with other school districts and agencies to seek the best prices for products and services our schools use to educate and transport students, and to maintain our facilities,
- Seeks innovative ways to reduce expenditures,
- Ensures employees are compensated according to their contracts, including salaries, insurance, retirement contributions, and days off,
- Ensures retirees receive the benefits to which they are entitled,
- Assists the board of education and administration in preparing the district’s budget,
- Provides Herkimer County data to generate school property tax bills and collect taxes,
- Files required forms and reports with the New York State Education Department,
- Oversees the receipt and disbursement of district funds, and
- Maintains the district’s financial records.
Integrity and Transparency
The Business Office takes numerous steps to ensure fiscal integrity and transparency.
- An Internal Claims Auditor reviews each check (except payroll) prior to its release to confirm it is an authorized and budgeted expense.
- Annually, an independent accounting firm conducts an external audit of district finances. (View a copy of the audit). This is the document provided by the accounting firm, it is not an accessible PDF. For support or questions, please contact our business office at 315-894-5000 or email Business Administrator James Humphrey email@example.com)
- Annually, Questar III BOCES State Aid and Financial Planning service conducts an internal audit to insure practices follow district policies and procedures.
- Every three to five years, the New York State Comptroller’s Office audits the district’s finances, policies, and procedures, assuring the public that the school district has been a faithful steward of public funds.