Central Valley Central School District will induct five Ilion and Mohawk alumni into the district’s Hall of Fame at a luncheon at 11 a.m. on Saturday, March 9 at Francesca’s Banquet Hall in Ilion. The public is invited. Luncheon tickets are $25 each. Tickets are available at the Jarvis Middle School and CVA offices.
In addition to recognizing honorees at the luncheon, the district will permanently display a plaque honoring each person on the Hall of Fame wall at Central Valley Academy.
Class of 2019
This year’s honorees include:
Dr. Charles J. Diss—Distinguished Alumnus—Humanitarian/Community Service Achievement—Professional/Career Achievement
- Graduated Ilion Academy – 1897; Long Island College Hospital
- Honored by the Medical Society of New York State for 50 years in the medical profession
- Active in the establishment of Ilion Hospital. Was first physician to treat patient in 1908
- Major financial contributor to Ilion Central School. Diss Athletic complex named in his honor
Brian Lynch—Distinguished Alumnus—Professional/Career Achievement
- Graduated Ilion Central School – 1980; St. John Fisher BS Management; Rochester Institute of Technology MBA
- President of Carter’s Inc., the largest branded marketer of baby and children’s clothing in the United States
- Vice President Strategy & Concept Development, Merchandise, Food and Imaging at Walt Disney World, Orlando, Florida
- Director of Merchandising at Champion Products Inc.
Joseph Vespasiano “Mr. V”—Distinguished Educator—Teacher
- SUNY Oswego BA Industrial Arts; SUNY Albany MA Guidance
- Sergeant in United States Army 1943-1945
- Mohawk Central School – Industrial Arts Teacher from 1955 to 1987 – 32 years
- NYS Industrial Arts Association “Regional Teacher of the Year” 1981
- Friend and mentor to all. Provided guidance and support to all his students
Martin Manion “Monk”—Distinguished Educator—Teacher/Coach
- Utica College of Syracuse University, SUNY Oneonta
- Served US Army 11th Airborne Division during Korean Conflict
- Ilion Central School – Social Studies Teacher from 1958 to 1997 – 38 years
- Longtime football and wrestling coach at various levels
- A teacher and coach who bonded with his students and athletes
Bertram and Janelle Bookhout—Distinguished Educators—Teachers
- Mr. Bookhout: Orange County Community College; Ithaca College School of Music
Mrs. Bookhout: Eastman School of Music of the University of Rochester
- Mohawk Central School teachers: Mr. Bookhout: 1978 to 2002 – 24 years; Mrs. Bookhout: 1974 to 2005 – 31 years
- Founders and sole directors of the Mohawk Central School District Marching Band
- Music students were winners of numerous NYSMAA, All-County, All-State, and Marching Band Competitions – 2 time New York State Field Band Champions
- Inspired student success in school and life through their love and passion for music
Support the Hall of Fame
The Hall of Fame is self-sustaining; it receives no school district funding. Individuals and businesses are invited to help underwrite the event by contributing any amount or by sponsoring a table for $200. Contributors will be recognized at the induction and on the district website for their commitment to promote this proud local tradition.
To contribute or sponsor, please contact the CVA office at 895-7471.
The Hall of Fame committee, made up of school and community representative, selects Hall of Fame members from a list of people nominated by friends and family. Nomination requirements and forms are available on the district website www.cvalleycsd.org or from the district office.