Central Valley Central School District will induct six Ilion and Mohawk alumni into the district’s Hall of Fame at a luncheon at 11 a.m. on Saturday, March 10 at Francesca’s Banquet Hall in Ilion. The public is invited. Luncheon tickets are $25 each. Tickets are available at the Jarvis Middle School and CVA offices.
In addition to recognizing honorees at the luncheon, the district will permanently display a plaque honoring each person on the Hall of Fame wall at Central Valley Academy.
Class of 2018
This year’s honorees include:
Donald J. Brien—Distinguished Alumnus – Professional/Career Achievement
- Graduated Ilion Central School – 1987, United States Air Force Academy with Bachelor of Science Aeronautical Engineering
- Retired Lieutenant Colonel United States Air Force – Deputy Commander 621 st Contingency Operations Support Group with 28 years of service
- US Air Pilot participating in Enduring Freedom, Southern Watch, Secure Tomorrow, and Iraqi Freedom Operations
- Received the following recognitions: Meritorious Service, Aerial Achievement, Air Force Commendation, Joint Service Achievement, and Air Force Achievement
- Mohawk Central School Coach for over 30 years – Girls Track, Volleyball, and Field Hockey
- Conducted Fitness Classes at the YMCA
- Received NYS Coaches Association Award for achieving over 300 wins in track
- Provided guidance, support and a nurturing-way for all of her athletes
- Graduated Mohawk Central School – 1968; Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute with PhD in Engineering
- Spent 25 years working for IBM before helping develop the College Nanoscale Science & Engineering (CNSE) at University of Albany
- Established GLOBALFOUNDRIES
- Winner of Excelsior Award for Advanced Electronics
- Graduated Mohawk Central School – 1995; Associate in Occupational Studies in Culinary Art from Culinary Institute of America
- Awarded 2003 Best Young Chef in America
- Winner of the Regional Competition for the Jeunes Chefs Rôtisserie; took fourth in the World Competition
- Noted for Chef de Cuisine at Lure on Martha’s Vineyard and as a local Executive Corporate Chef
- Attended Ilion Central School; Served US Marine Corp in the Pacific Islands during WWII
- Deputy Fire Chief for Village of Ilion and local businessman
- Recognized at the NYS Fallen Firefighter Memorial in Albany for perishing in fire at Ilion Central School in 1963 at the age of 42
- Central Valley Academy Auditorium is named in his honor
Roland J. Yardley—Distinguished Alumnus – Professional/Career Achievement
- Graduated Ilion Central School – 1973; Bachelor of Arts in Human Resources Management, University of New Mexico
- Retired US Navy Commander with 24 years of service
- Senior International Defense Researcher at Rand Corporation
- Authored many publications on strategies of military operations
Support the Hall of Fame
The Hall of Fame is self-sustaining; it receives no school district funding. Individuals and businesses are invited to help underwrite the event by contributing any amount or by sponsoring a table for $200. Contributors will be recognized at the induction and on the district website for their commitment to promote this proud local tradition.
To contribute or sponsor, please contact the CVA office at 895-7471.
The Hall of Fame committee, made up of school and community representative, selects Hall of Fame members from a list of people nominated by friends and family. Nomination requirements and forms are available on the district website www.cvalleycsd.org or from the district office.