Central Valley Central School District will induct eight Ilion and Mohawk alumni as the inaugural class of the district’s Hall of Fame at a luncheon at 11 a.m. on Saturday, March 11 at Francesca’s Banquet Hall in Ilion. The public is invited.
The district will permanently display a plaque honoring each person on the Hall of Fame wall at Central Valley Academy.
Honored will be:
- James Anderson (Ilion ’36)—dentist, local community leader, military veteran
- Brian Angelichio (Ilion ‘91)—athlete, college and professional football coach
- Charles “Boots” Day (Ilion ’65)—professional baseball player, scout, instructor, and manager
- Rudyard Grayson Edick (Ilion ’83)—decorated military veteran, U.S. Airforce and NYS environmental engineer
- Richard C. Gerstenberg (Mohawk ’27)—General Motors Chairman of the Board and Chief Executive Officer, and Mohawk scholarship benefactor
- Gregory B. Jarvis (Mohawk ’62)— Central Valley middle school is named for this engineer, astronaut, and recipient of the Congressional Space Medal of Honor who died in the Challenger space shuttle explosion.
- David M. Mills (Mohawk ’65)—high school athlete, decorated U.S. Marine who was killed in combat in Vietnam
- Donald J. Taylor (Ilion ’47)—military veteran, 43-year CYO coach, lifelong Ilion High School sports supporter
The Hall of Fame is self-sustaining; it receives no school district funding. To help underwrite the cost of the luncheon and the plaques, the committee invites local businesses and individuals to sponsor a table at the luncheon. Contributors will be recognized at the induction and on the district website for their commitment to promote this proud local tradition. Individual luncheon tickets to attend are $25 each. A table sponsorship is $200. To attend or contribute, please contact the district office at 894-9934.
The Hall of Fame committee, made up of school and community representative, selects Hall of Fame members from a list of people nominated by friends and family. Nomination requirements and forms are available on the district website www.cvalleycsd.org or from the district office.