Central Valley School District Board of Education – Regular Meeting
December 18, 2019 – 7:02 p.m.
The Board of Education’s regular meeting was called to order by Vice President Maggie Wesolowski at 7:02 p.m. in the LGI at CVA. The Pledge of Allegiance was recited by all those present.
- Travis Costin
- Jonah Levi
- Jane North
- Jason Sanchez
- Maggie Wesolowski
- Matt Darrow
- Kelly Rowland
- Jeremy M. Rich, Supt., Jim Humphrey, Fran LaPaglia, Kathy Carney, Jeremy Kozak, Richard Keeler, Sally Kramas, Charlie Pratt, Michele Pilla, Aaron Carey, Cuyle Rockwell, Garrett Olds, Patricia Murray, Jon Cole
Guests Present (those signing in)
- Andrea McManus, Tiernan McManus Madison Campagna Sophie Hyde Mitchell Soules Todd Albin Jason Clanton Dana Clanton Amy Roepnack Karen Ruggiero Connie Yardley Nicole Green Deb Schoff Shawn Murray, Heather Rose, Julie Moreau, Eric Moreau, Scott Thomas, Randall Lee, Joseph Rando, Lindsey Liepke,
- Change: D. (b) Remove COND from appointment for S. Acquaviva
- Add: D. (d) BOCES Sub Service Appointments
Add: B. Approval of Amendment to Probationary Period from 4-year to 3-year
Add: Discussions regarding proposed, pending or current litigation.
Model UN Presentation – Joe Helmer
Joe Helmer provided the Board with copies of the CVA Delegates Handbook for the Model United Nations Club. Joe presented information on the club’s recent activities and upcoming projects.
(Copy of handbook on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Recognition of Conference and Area All-State Music Participants
The Board recognized participants from the recent Conference and Area All-State Music Festivals. Madilyn Thomas performed a vocal solo for the Board during the meeting. Congratulations were extended to the participants.
Recognition of Scholar Athletes/Teams and Achievements – Fall 2019
The Board recognized Scholar Athletes/Teams for earning New York State Public High School Athletic Association (NYSPHSAA) awards for fall 2019. Congratulations were extended to the athletes and their coaches. The Board also commended those athletes, teams, and coaches who earned post-season achievements.
A brief reception was held following this evening’s presentations.
ADMINISTRATIVE REPORTS AND RECOMMENDATIONS
- Campus Construction Report #30 – The Board received copies of the December 2019 report for their information.
- Expertise Project Pilot – Mr. Rich reported that Central Valley will be involved in the Expertise Project Pilot, originated by Mike Baron, past graduate of Ilion High School. Students will be able to learn about careers from an online library of videos to help them understand the opportunities available in this region. In addition, students will have an opportunity to interact with adults in a professional setting. The pilot is expected to start in January.
- SRO Update – Mr. Rich reported that the district’s SRO is now in place. He we will work mostly out of CVA at this time with visits to Fisher and Barringer.
- Hall of Fame Nominations – Mr. Rich reported that the deadline for nominations for the Hall of Fame has now passed. The ceremony is scheduled to take place on March 28, 2020.
- Foundation Nominations – Mr. Rich reminded those present about the opportunity to nominate students and staff for recognition by the Foundation. Recognition will take place on a quarterly basis. Nomination forms are available online.
- Retirement – Mr. Rich extended special thanks to Brady Boyd who will be retiring soon as the Director of Facilities II for CVCSD. Mr. Boyd was thanked for his dedication and commitment to the District over the years. We truly appreciate his efforts and he will be missed.
- Shop with a Cop – Mr. Darrow was not in attendance this evening as he was participating in the Shop with a Cop program with the Ilion and Mohawk Police Departments. Special thanks to our local police departments for providing this program to those in need.
- Musial Award – Marek Bush was recently recognized for this award. The ceremony will air on the sports network on December 21st and 23rd.
- Music/Sports – Mr. Rich congratulated the Music Department for the outstanding concerts and performances, as well as our coaches and teams for their successful seasons.
- Artwork Displays – Student artwork will now be on display at each Board meeting as a way to showcase the talent of our students.
(Copy of information on file in District Clerk’s files.)
There were no administrative reports this evening.
Business Official’s Report
- The Board received copies of the November 2019 financial reports for their review. Formal acceptance of these reports will be considered under New Business on this evening’s agenda.
- Mr. Humphrey provided the Board with copies of the 2020-2021 Budget Timeline for their review and approval this evening. It was noted that Sandy Sherwood will be in attendance at the Board’s February meeting to present the BOCES Administrative Budget and discuss details of the March vote.
- Mr. Humphrey reported that salaries will be updated as of January 1, 2020, due to the new minimum wage. This will have an impact on our budget of approximately $75,000.
(Copy of information on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Mrs. Wesolowski thanked the elementary PTO for sponsoring the Breakfast with Santa event. She noted that the PTO is made up of a small group of parents who do a lot of work to help our students. Mr. Rich thanked students from Student Council, Key Club, and ROTC who have attended and helped out at recent events happening in the district.
PUBLIC OPEN FORUM
There was no public participation this evening.
ITEMS REMOVED FROM CONSENT AGENDA FOR INDIVIDUAL CONSIDERATION
There were no items removed from the consent agenda for individual consideration.
Approval of Minutes
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Sanchez, the Board approved the minutes of the following meeting. Motion carried 5-0.
- Regular Meeting – November 20, 2019
Acceptance of Retirement Notice
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Sanchez, the Board accepted the following notice of retirement. Motion carried 5-0.
- Brady Boyd, Director of Facilities II, Effective 1/2/20
(Copy of notice on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Acceptance of Resignations
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Sanchez, the Board accepted the following resignations. Motion carried 5-0.
- Samantha Sharpe, Substitute Food Service Helper, Effective 12/13/19
- Lawrence Corsette, Substitute Bus Monitor, Effective 12/20/19
(Copy of resignations on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Approval of Personnel Appointments / Adjustments
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Sanchez, the Board approved the following personnel appointments/adjustments. Motion carried 5-0.
Non-Instructional Appointments – Six-Month Probationary:
- Michele Schultz, Teacher Aide (7 hrs/day), Effective 1/2/20
Coaching / Volunteer Appointments – Winter 2019-2020:
- Boys Bowling Volunteer—Salvatore Acquaviva Jr.
- Indoor Track Volunteer—Mike Farber
- Lorraine Rice, Substitute Teacher Aide, Effective 12/4/19 only
BOCES Sub-Service Appointments:
- A. Hans Hendric
- Geraldine Winter
- Patty Gibson
- Angel Holden
- Kacie Foster
- Samantha Brigham
- Claire Cabral
- Linda Fisher
- Sarah Grainer
- Diane Ingraham
- Mia Lopez
- Sarah Rickard
- Edward Czarnecki
Approval of Financial Reports
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Sanchez, the Board approved the following financial reports and information. Motion carried 5-0.
- Budget Timeline – 2020-2021
- Cash Account Summaries – October/November 2019
- Internal Claims Auditors Reports – October/November 2019
- Financial Reports – November 2019
- Extracurricular Summary Report – November 2019
- Federal Funds Procedural Manual – November 2019
(Copy of reports on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Approval of Resolution for Ten-Year PILOT Agreement Pertaining to Duofold Site
In follow-up to discussion at the Board’s last meeting, Mr. Rich explained the request for the District to approve a ten-year PILOT agreement pertaining to the Duofold Site. Brief discussion followed.
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board approved the following resolution as read aloud by Mrs. Wesolowski. Motion carried 5-0.
WHEREAS, the Duofold property, located on Spruce Street, Ilion, New York, is an abandoned property within the boundaries of the Central Valley Central School District, and has not been a taxable entity since 2007; and
WHEREAS, the County Industrial Development Agency (“IDA”), Village, and School District have discussed the desire to enter into a Payment-in-Lieu-of-Taxes (“PILOT”) agreement with any future owner of the Duofold property, in an effort to entice investors to purchase and develop such site;
NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED, that the Board of Education, in connection with the IDA and Village of Ilion, hereby expresses its intent to enter into a 10-year PILOT Agreement with any prospective owner/developer of the Duofold site, allowing the current land and any improvements to remain free of school taxes throughout the duration of such PILOT, and declares such intention to have no negative impact on the financial status of the District or on taxpayers, in light of the current property not having contributed taxes since 2007. Upon the purchase of such site by a developer, the District authorizes the Superintendent to work with the Village and IDA in establishing a PILOT agreement within these parameters.
(Copy of resolution on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Approval of Amendment to Probationary Period
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board approved an amendment to the following probationary period due to receipt of tenure in a previous district. Motion carried 5-0.
- Dennis Roy – Technology Teacher, From 4 year to 3 year, Eff. Retroactive to 9/1/18
Approval of Arrangement of Services of CSE/CPSE/504 Accommodation Plan Meetings
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mr. Costin seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board approved the arrangement of services of the following CSE/CPSE/504 Accommodation Plan Meetings. Motion carried 5-0.
- November 7, 2019
- November 8, 2019
- November 13, 2019
- November 14, 2019
- November 20, 2019
- November 25, 2019
- November 26, 2019
(Copy of minutes on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Approval of Adjustments to 2019-2020 Substitute Rates Due to New Minimum Wage
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board approved the following adjustments to the 2019-2020 Substitute Rates due to the new minimum wage, effective January 1, 2020. Motion carried 5-0.
- Retired Teacher—$100.00/day to Remains the Same
- Certified Teacher—$90.00/day to Remains the Same
- Uncertified Teacher— $80.00/day to $82.60/day
- Certified Teaching Assistant—$82.70/day to $87.60/day
- Uncertified Teaching Assistant—$77.70/day to $82.60/day
- Teacher Aide—$11.10/hr to $11.80/hr
- Registered Nurse—$100.00/day to Remains the Same
- Licensed Practical Nurse—$80.00/day to $82.60/day
Approval of Resolution Authorizing Superintendent to Execute Agreement for Contract of Sale of the Remington School Building
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mr. Sanchez, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board approved the following resolution authorizing the Superintendent to execute an agreement for the contract of sale of the Remington School building. Motion carried 5-0.
RESOLVED, upon approval of the voters received on November 12, 2019, the Board of Education of the Central Valley Central School District (“District”) hereby approves the contract of sale for the property located at 77 East North Street, Ilion, New York, said purchase to convey the Remington School Building and accompanying grounds from the District to the Herkimer-Fulton-Otsego BOCES for $1.00, plus customary closing costs, and authorizes the Superintendent of Schools to execute the Agreement.
(Copy of resolution on file in District Clerk’s files.)
Acceptance of Donation
Upon the recommendation of Superintendent Jeremy M. Rich, on a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Costin, the Board accepted the following donation. Motion carried 5-0.
- Mohawk Community Club – $500 to Jarvis Middle School Ski Club
NEXT MEETING: January 15, 2020 – Regular Meeting
On a motion made by Mrs. North, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board entered into an Executive Session at 8:15 p.m. for the purpose of discussing the following. Motion carried 5-0.
- Medical, financial, credit or employment history of any particular person or corporation, or matters leading to the appointment, employment, promotion, demotion, discipline, suspension, dismissal or removal of any particular person or corporation;
- Discussions regarding proposed, pending or current litigation.
The Board was called out of their Executive Session at 10:03 p.m. by Mrs. Wesolowski, Vice President.
On a motion made by Mr. Costin, seconded by Mr. Levi, the Board adjourned their regular meeting at 10:04 p.m. Motion carried 5-0.
District Clerk, Board of Education