Pediculosis (head lice) protocol
Central Valley School District has adopted procedures to provide a consistent protocol to eradicate head lice in the school setting.
The school nurse, principal or designee will:
- Make parent contact
- Provide verbal and written guidelines on how to manage lice at home
- Provide parent with a copy our procedure
- Student is sent home for treatment
- The class is checked by the nurse
- Contact other schools where there may be other siblings or contacts, and screen other siblings that are in the same school
Upon return to school:
- Student needs to be cleared by nurse before returning to class
- Transportation needs to be provided by a parent or their designee; they cannot ride the bus until cleared by the nurse.
- A recheck will be performed every day for 5 days, then once a week at the discretion of the school nurse for two weeks.
- Upon the student’s third infection, the school nurse will make a SIPP referral (school intervention program).
- If the student continues to be infected and all resources have been exhausted, a call will be made to the HOTLINE on the grounds of educational neglect and medical care.
- The nurse will provide the intake personnel with pertinent data such as the number of absences and will describe previous attempts to rectify the problem.