View a printable version of the August 2013 Community Update Letter (PDF).
Dear Central Valley Resident,
Students and their families are still focused on summer vacation, but we are already looking toward the start of school as the Central Valley School District. Our staff has been busy on the transition, but we have much to work out. I thought I would take a moment to let you know where we are.
We have taken some major steps:
- Our students voted on our identity—we are the Central Valley School District; we are the “Thunder;” our colors are navy blue and light blue with yellow highlights.
- We completed all of our legal and tax fi lings to begin operation on July 1, 2013.
- We named our administrators, faculty and staff and assigned them to their buildings.
- We adopted the first of the policies that will guide our district.
- We have a temporary website where we post our information (www.cvalleycsd.org).
- We have new email addresses (first initial and last name @cvalleycsd.org).
- We have assessed the flood damage to Fisher and Jarvis and have begun repairs.
- We have finished mapping out the elementary school attendance zones in a way that divides the number of students without exceeding building capacities. You can view a detailed map on the district website.
- Your child will attend Fisher Elementary if he/she lives on Benedict Avenue in Ilion or on the east side of Rt. 51/Central Ave./Otsego St. between Benedict Ave. and Rt. 5 in Ilion.
- Your child will attend Barringer Road Elementary if he/she lives on the west side of Rt. 51 Central Ave./Otsego St. between Benedict Ave. and Rt. 5 in Ilion or south of Benedict Ave. in Ilion.
- Note: ESL and special education students will attend the building in which the program is housed. We will notify parents when those locations are set.
- We have begun the process of moving people, equipment and supplies to their new homes.
- We are purchasing new elementary school math and reading curricula to ensure all students learn the same material and are prepared for middle school.
We continue to:
- Finalize bus routes. We will notify you by mail before school opens.
- Work out teacher assignments, courses and schedules. We will notify you by mail to let you know the name of your child’s teacher or how to get your child’s class schedule.
- Choose our emergency notifi cation system to let you know about school closing or other important information.
- Merge everything to do with computer systems—from grading to cafeteria accounts, from teacher websites to parent access to student records.
Family Orientation Evenings
Each of our buildings will hold Family Orientation Evenings in August. This is a great chance for students and their families to tour their schools. Please note: These meetings are for students who are new to their buildings. For more information, please call your child’s school.
- Fisher Elementary (866-4851), Cafeteria
- Grades K-4 at 6-7 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 6
- Grades K-4 at 6-7 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 13
- Barringer Road Elementary (894-8420), Cafeteria
- Grades K-4 at 6-7 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 5
- Grades K-4 at 6-7 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 12
- Jarvis Middle School (866-2620), Auditorium
- Grade 5 at 6-7 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 8
- Grade 6 at 7:30-8:30 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 8
- Grade 7 at 6-7 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 14
- Grade 8 at 7:30-8:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 14
- Central Valley Academy (895-7471), Large Group Instruction Room
- Grades 10 & 12 at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Aug. 15
- Grades 9 & 11 at 6 p.m. on Wednesday Aug. 21i
District building are undergoing repairs and renovations as part of capital projects previously approved by voters. Each project is designed to improve safety, energy efficiency and learning. Although construction will continue into the fall, the majority of work will be fiished in time for a smooth opening in September.
This is a new district with many exciting things taking place as we prepare for out students. This letter hopefully answers the many questions you likely have. We will continue to post this and any new information on our website.
Cosimo Tangorra, Jr.
Superintendent of Schools